Skip to Content


Home > Military > USA > Pennsylvania > Carson Long Military Institute

Carson Long Military Institute

Address

P.O. Box 98
New Bloomfield, Pennsylvania, USA

Carson Long Military Institute is a direct descendent of Bloomfield Academy which was founded in 1836. It was started by Robert Finley in New Bloomfield, Pennsylvania as a Latin Grammar school with only six students. In 1840 the school was moved two blocks up the hill to its present location. The first building of the original school was built in the same year and is still in use as a reception hall and a museum. In 1842 the trustees decided to make the Academy a coeducational boarding school. For a short period of time in the early 1850's, the school was purchased and operated by the Perry County Commissioners. During the second half of the 1800's, the Latin Grammar academy added a Normal School, which was a training school for teachers. In 1914 the school was purchased by Theodore K. Long, who graduated from Bloomfield Academy and Yale, and who became a prominent Chicago lawyer and city councilman. In 1916 he renamed the school Carson Long Institute as a living memorial to his son, William Carson Long, who died at an early age. At that time the Academy became an all boys school accepting girls as day students only for about four more years. After World War I, Edward L. Holman, a nephew of Colonel Long came back to his alma mater and started military training in 1919. He spent the next 61 years of his life building the school into what it is today. In 1971 he became the Board Chairman and his son, Colonel Carson E. R. Holman, a graduate of Carson Long and West Point, became President of the School....

School Focus:
  • College Prep Military
  • Junior Boarding School
Specialties:
  • Military School
Grades Offered: 6 to 12
School Type: All Boys
Religious Affiliation: All Religions Welcome
Post-Grad Year: No
Saturday Classes: No
Classroom Dress Code: n/a
Average Class Size: 25 Students
ESL Courses: No
Summer Program: No